[pve-devel] Xen to Proxmox: one perl question

Gandalf Corvotempesta gandalf.corvotempesta at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 09:20:27 CEST 2018

Il giorno mar 3 lug 2018 alle ore 09:12 Wolfgang Bumiller
<w.bumiller at proxmox.com> ha scritto:
> Or you just extract the files while downloading by piping to tar/bsdtar.
> Also, seeing how this isn't a task you do 100 times a day every day,
> time shouldn't be that much of an issue.

Biggest issue is that you have to extract the tarball, then
reconstruct the raw image and then move it
to the new server.

If you have a multi-gigabyte tarball, this operation is very time
consuming (in example, we have some 400GB
VMs)

With my script, the whole operation needs only the transfer time,
becase I'm extracting, converting and moving
to Proxmox in realtime during the download from the xenserver host.
I've moved from many hours (and many, many
gigabyte needed as free space) to about 45 minutes and no space
needed, all is done on the fly in a single pass.

But I'm planning to create a new php-version that directly talks to
proxmox api and xenserver api, reading the OVA.XML
file and creating the new VM on proxmox node, by reconstructing it
automatically (with network interface, disks, etc etc)

Something like:

$ php xen2pve --host my.host --user my.user --password my.password --vm vm.uuid

just to migrate a single vm in a single pass from xen to pve.