[pve-devel] Please help: beginner trying to compile Proxmox kernel 4.15

The Anh Tran trtheanh at gmail.com
Sat Sep 22 07:19:02 CEST 2018

Dear Teams,

I have Dell EMC ScaleIO (renamed to VxFlexOS) license.

ScaleIO has 3 components:
SDS: server storage provider. This component could be installed on
Proxmox ok.
MDM: distributed storage metadata management. This is installed on a VM
for HA & live-migration requirement.
SDC: storage client consumer. This component could be installed on
Proxmox ok.

I have posted a SR ticket on EMC site. They replied: "unable to support
Proxmox distribution due to ... reasons".
=> have to solve this myself.

Sdc has a kernel module: scini.ko, which is a pre-compiled binary by
EMC, for each support OS version (Redhat, Ubuntu, ...).
scini.ko, which compiled on ubuntu xenial 16.04, has this module version
magic string: "4.15.0-33-generic SMP mod_unload".
Promox kernel 4.15.18-xy, while based on Ubuntu hwe kernel 4.15.18, has
module magic string: "4.15.18-xy-pve SMP mod_unload modversions"

SDC boot script /etc/init.d/scini run this: "insmod /bin/emc/scini.ko"
Magic string mismatch => kernel refuse to load
I could change to force load: "insmod -f /bin/emc/scini.ko"
But Proxmox compile flag inside debian/rules doesn't have
"CONFIG_MODULE_FORCE_LOAD"

So, i could make scini.ko run on Proxmox by re-compile kernel, with some
changes:
_ add "-e CONFIG_MODULE_FORCE_LOAD \" in pve-kernel/debian/rules
_ or modify pve-kernel/debian/rules: "-d CONFIG_MODVERSIONS \", and edit
Makefile version string vars, from "4.15.18-xy-pve" to "4.15.0-xy-generic".

May I know the reason why you add "CONFIG_MODVERSIONS" or not enable
"CONFIG_MODULE_FORCE_LOAD" flag?
Best regards.