[pve-devel] Bug in Promox's OVMF implementation - resolution is garbled on MacOS, unless you reset machine on each boot?

Victor Hooi victorhooi at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 8 06:55:39 CET 2020

Hi,

I have been using Proxmox to run MacOS VMs, as per Nichola's guide here:

https://www.nicksherlock.com/2019/10/installing-macos-catalina-10-15-on-proxmox-6/

(and earlier versions).

In one of the steps in the guide - you need to go into the OMVF BIOS
settings, and set the resolution:

https://i.imgur.com/a5MeswK.png

then reset the machine after:

https://i.imgur.com/YiiiAQl.png

If you do not do this - the display will be garbled:

https://i.imgur.com/bs3zMkB.png

However, this setting does not appear to be preserved. Every time you boot
up the VM, you need to go back into the menu, and hit Reset again.

I spoke to Nicholas, and he belieevs it to be a bug in OMVF, or rather in
Proxmox's implementation of OMVF:

https://www.nicksherlock.com/2019/10/installing-macos-catalina-10-15-on-proxmox-6/#comment-33419

No, my bet is that it is a bug in OVMF, or at least Proxmox’s version of
> it, because you can see that the “Proxmox” boot logo doesn’t even use the
> set resolution until the guest is reset one time.

Does anybody have any idea where this bug/issue might originate from? If it
is an error in OVMF, is it possible to fix it?

Thanks,
Victor