[pve-devel] learning a new language: rust vs golang vs raku ?

Wolfgang Bumiller w.bumiller at proxmox.com
Mon Mar 23 07:56:31 CET 2020

On 3/22/20 7:53 PM, Alexandre DERUMIER wrote:
> Hi,
>
> as I'll work at home for the next weeks because of covid-19,
>
> I think I'm going to learn a new language.
>
> What do you think about rust vs golang vs raku, coming from perl/python/php.
> (I don't have touch C too much since school in 99 ;)

My very biased opinion:

Raku: weirdest thing ever. And perl was already weird. I still see it
more as a toy.

Go: Okay-ish (apart from being somewhat ugly). Doesn't really make a lot
*better*. Was meant to be easy and to build things "fast" AFAICT.

Rust: Kind of a whole new approach. It won't let you just "rush out"
some code, it'll force you to do it right, all the time.
Initially feels like a nagging teacher telling you all the things you're
doing wrong.
In the end it really helps. We've had quite a few surprises there, even
when having to do bigger refactors or changes to adapt to changes in our
dependencies - once you're through all the things the compiler complains
about, chances are things "just work" again.
With literally every other language fixing the compile errors is the
least amount of work, the next step is going through all the runtime
crashes and hoping you didn't miss any (because you didn't test all the
code paths) ;-)

> I'm seeing that some rust code is available proxmox git repo,
> is if fast to learn ?

Fast to *start* with, then feels like it won't let you do anything you
want to do, and nothing will get done until you accept that the compiler
is right and you're wrong ;-), then the speed will pick up more and
more, and finally it's extremely slow to "master".