[PVE-User] PVE + software raid - boot process

Dietmar Maurer dietmar at proxmox.com
Tue Nov 11 09:16:19 CET 2008

> I just realized that the Debian-Task-Package was removed from the
> Roadmap entirely on 2008-10-06. May I ask if you dropped that forever,
> or if it just didn't make it to the new Roadmap?

The package is called proxmox-ve (proxmox-ve_1.0-2_all.deb)

> Since in the stock-pve-kernel the raid-modules are available, it is
> possible after an install to install mdadm and create some
> software-raids. However, this is not my goal.
>
> As mentioned in previous posts, I want to boot with a _slightly_
> modified pve-initrd (including mdadm) from sw-raid.
>
> Here's what I did so far to compile the package:
>
> I decided to build directly on a PVE-1.0-install, since this is the
> system I build it for.
>
> The README doesn't mention the following packages, I found to be
> mandatory.
> # aptitude install build-essential git-core autotools-dev debhelper
> fakeroot

Ok, added to the README - thanks.

> 'make' then pulls the repositories and compiles the kernel - which
> works. The kernel-package now is a bit monolithic, so I'm stuck at
> building kvm-75, though this isn't necessary for my needs (build.log
> available on http://www.perners.at/gregor/build.log)

Why do you build it if you don't need it? This is a Makefile, so you
can specify the target.

> My main problem is, that it aborts without a 'data'-directory which
> obviously holds the necessary files.
>
> What I don't want to end up is debugging a build-environment. So it
> would be helpful to get some hints if I am completely mistaken or
where
> to investigate further why 'data' is not there (./create-initrd-dir
> needs it).

Please debug the Makefile - I can't do it because it works here.

> Also some information about the environment where the
official-releases
> are built are useful.

What do you want to know?

- Dietmar