[PVE-User] Deployment Questions

Andrew Niemantsverdriet andrew at rocky.edu
Wed Nov 12 19:35:58 CET 2008

Hi,

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 10:22 AM, Shain Miley <smiley at npr.org> wrote:
> Hello,
> We are going to be placing two Proxmox servers into production at some
> point in the near future and I was wondering about the following two issues:
>
> 1)  What is the best way to keep VE's on separate servers in sync.  This
> includes both OpenVZ and KVM VE's.  I know rsync is an option...but I
> was wondering about drdb...or are there even better       options out there?

Are you looking for some sort of high availablity? I have not done
anything like that but I do take daily snapshots of every box and then
archive those snapshots. If a box goes down it is an easy restore.

> 2)   What is the best way to make use of multiple NIC cards?  I am going
> to be using Dell Poweredge machines that have 2 - 4 NIC cards
> each...should I put all the KVM VE's on 1 NIC and the
> openVZ ones on the other NIC?  Should I  use a round robin approach when
> it comes to determining which card to put a VE on?  Any thoughts on how
> I can get the most throughput?

I do a couple of approaches, for the most part I bond the interfaces
together. That give maxamun throughput but I also have some KVM
machines that need their own interface so I have them. The bummer is
that the networking is not independent per box if they are clustered
so you need to make the networks look the same even though they may
not be.

Hope that helps,

--
 _