[PVE-User] Network changes require a reboot

Dietmar Maurer dietmar at proxmox.com
Thu Nov 20 09:22:12 CET 2008

> I can see why it is important to have the network the same on nodes of
> a cluster for migration. However is there anyway to get around having
> to reboot the box when ever a network change is made? I know that it
> is important to plan ahead and to make sure your network is laid out
> correctly however as is the nature of most network things they change
> and evolve as time goes on. So since things change it is impossible to
> plan for every situation, so things like the network configuration may
> have to change on a fairly regular basis at least that is what I am
> running into.

Well, I do not understand why you change your network each day - why?

> So my question is 3 parts:
>
> First is it possible to change the network configuration with a
> reboot? My servers take about 10min to reboot with all the selfchecks
> and other stuff that happens during boot-up.

You can use lowlevel network commands. But that requires deep system
knowledge
and we can't provide support for that.

> Second since we are stuck with the network of the master node is there
> a way propagate changes to the network to all the slaves?

Don't understand that question? You requested exactly the opposite
previously - you wanted to be able to configure all nodes individually?

> Third are there any plans to abstract the network configuration some?

Well, there are. There is a quite interesting project:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/vde/

http://vde.sourceforge.net/

But there are doubts about performance. But I never tested.

- Dietmar