[PVE-User] Network changes require a reboot

Andrew Niemantsverdriet andrew at rocky.edu
Thu Nov 20 20:04:45 CET 2008

Hi,

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 9:28 AM, Dietmar Maurer <dietmar at proxmox.com> wrote:
>> > http://sourceforge.net/projects/vde/
>> >
>> > http://vde.sourceforge.net/
>> >
>> > But there are doubts about performance. But I never tested.
>>
>> This looks very interesting, I think I may play with this some. Is
>> Proxmox looking at possibly using this in the future? Or do you have
>> something else in mind?
>
> A complete virtual network would solve the 'cluster' network problem.
> But as
> said above, I think this will have bad performance. Maybe you can test
> and tell us
> the results, I am quite curious.

Ok, I did some quick and dirty testing. I set up a CentOS 5 server
with kvm and vde. On that host I installed Ubuntu 8.04 server. I then
run iperf from my desktop box to the ubuntu guest. The speeds were 80
Mbits/sec.

I then redid the host machine and installed KVM without VDE installed
the same Ubuntu 8.04 server and ran the iperf test again. I was able
to get 94.0 Mbits/sec

The preformace hit is not that bad, in fact it is basically nothing in
the scheme of things. I don't understand quite how it would solve the
network issues that I am running into, could you explain your ideas on
that?

--
 _
/-\ ndrew Niemantsverdriet