[PVE-User] pve 0.9b2 software-raid

Gregor Perner gregor at perners.at
Tue Oct 28 12:51:26 CET 2008

Martin Maurer schrieb:
> Software Raid is not supported and makes no sense for Proxmox VE.

I obviously don't agree with you on that. In my expirience a cheap
RAID-Controller is in the end more costly than a good/expensive one. For
this reason I settled with SW-Raid (for low-end testing, deployment
testing,  crash-recovery testing, ...) where no good Controller is
covered by the budget.
SW-Raid is well tested and supported OOTB by the Linux-Kernel.

I don't see any big problems in adding mdadm to the initrd except for
the kernel-package[0] itself. Up to this point I didn't manage to build
an unmodified (!) pve-kernel-package.
I understand there will be a release this week, so I would appreciate
the next kernel-source-package to be more buildable (and/or instructions
to set up a working build-environment).

Best Regards,
gregor

[0] ftp://pve.proxmox.com/sources/pve-kernel-2.6.24-3.tar.gz