[PVE-User] pve 0.9b2 software-raid

Martin Maurer martin at proxmox.com
Tue Oct 28 19:49:23 CET 2008

Hi again,

[Martin Maurer]
No one should use a cheap Raid controllers, I recommend always using the best hardware available if you go for virtualization - this is the recommendation of all virtualizations software vendors/companies.

> For
> this reason I settled with SW-Raid (for low-end testing, deployment
> testing,  crash-recovery testing, ...) where no good Controller is
> covered by the budget.
> SW-Raid is well tested and supported OOTB by the Linux-Kernel.
>
> I don't see any big problems in adding mdadm to the initrd except for
> the kernel-package[0] itself. Up to this point I didn't manage to build
> an unmodified (!) pve-kernel-package.
> I understand there will be a release this week, so I would appreciate
> the next kernel-source-package to be more buildable (and/or instructions
> to set up a working build-environment).

[Martin Maurer]
Yes, 1.0 will hopefully ready this week, including more instructions for your needs.

But again: Software Raid makes no sense for Proxmox VE project and you will save time if you go for a hardware raid - now and in future of Proxmox VE.
Thanks for sharing your experiences,

Br, martin