[PVE-User] Notes on Proxmox VE 1.0 release

Dietmar Maurer dietmar at proxmox.com
Thu Oct 30 08:06:58 CET 2008

Hi Scott,

> OS Templates - I downloaded a couple from the built in links.  Then I
> deleted them.  Then I uploaded some OS Templates I had built myself
for
> CentOS 5.2 i386, CentOS 5.2 x86_64, Fedora 9 i386, and Fedora 9
x86_64.
> I also uploaded an .iso image for Windows XP Pro SP2.  I noticed that
> it synced the container and KVM install media from the master to the
> secondary automatically.  Worked great.  The download tab is
> stateless... so I can switch between tabs and return and the download
> status is maintained.  Nice!  The only issue I noticed was that it
> "Description" listed for the OS Templates I uploaded is listed as "--
> unknown --".  What is it looking for exactly to populate the
> description?  Is there a file I can place in my OS Template that will
> populate the description field?  it would be nice to be able to edit
> the description from the web interface but that isn't an option.

We plan to improve and release our template building system soon. Then
plan
is to have (apt like) appliance repositories (and debian like control
files).
So you will be able to build your own appliance repository soon.

But I will discuss that on the openvz list as soon as I have time to do
it.

> Live migration of OpenVZ containers - Seems to be spotty.  Sometimes
> live migration would work, sometimes it wouldn't.  When a live
> migration failed it did so without fault... and the container just
> continued to run on the physical host it was on. Offline migration

Yes, it is still unreliable. Unfortunately the openvz team does not fix
those bugs in kernel 2.6.24. I guess if more people report errors they
will
increase priority on that (hint).

> worked 100% of the time.
>
> Live migration of a KVM machine worked fine... but so far I've only
> tested it once.
>
> Backups - Seems to be semi functional.  On the master I can only see
> the virtual machine / containers that are on the master.  On the
> secondary, I can can see the machines running on it and I can schedule
> a job... but when I save the job it fails because it doesn't have
write
> permission.  Similar error to what one gets when one tries to do
manage
> migrations from a non-master node.  So, as far as I can tell, backups
> only work on the master node for virtual machines / containers running
> on the master node... and there isn't any way to backup virtual
> machines / containers running on slave nodes.

No, backups should be fully functional. When you create a new job you
can
select the Node - please can you test that again.

> vnc-applet access - I'm primarily using a Fedora 9 x86_64 workstation
> to run Firefox 3 on to access the web interface and although I have a
> working JRE setup (at least the Sun JRE test web page works -
> http://java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml) the vnc-applet won't
work.
> That isn't really Proxmox VE's fault but it would be nice if there was
> some alternative connection method... like the stock VNC client
> application.

We use the stock VNC client, only some minor fixes (signed applet to
enable
cut and paste)

> On a 32-bit Windows box running Firefox 2.x the arrow-down dropdown
> menus would collide with each other.  For example, if there were two
> machines in a listing, the arrow-down dropdown menu for the first
> machine would mess up when it physically overlapped the listing of the
> second machine.  This is a bug in Firefox 2 I guess.  Worked fine in
> Firefox 3.

many thanks for this report.

- Dietmar