[PVE-User] 'dab' Debian/Ubuntu Appliance Builder released!

Martin Maurer martin at proxmox.com
Tue Jan 20 09:54:37 CET 2009

We just published our Debian/Ubuntu appliance builder for OpenVZ (of course perfectly usable on Proxmox VE).

Short description:

Creating high quality appliances is a difficult task and requires deep knowledge of the underlying operating system. So we created the 'Debian Appliance Builder' to simplify that task. 'dab' is a script to automate the creation of OpenVZ appliances. It is basically a rewrite of debootstrap in perl, but uses OpenVZ instead of chroot and generates OpenVZ templates. Another difference is that it supports multi-stage building of templates. That way you can execute arbitrary scripts between package installation steps to accomplish what you want.

Furthermore, some common tasks are fully automated - like setting up a database server (mysql or postgres). To accomplish minimal template creation time, packages are cached to a local directory, so you do not need a local Debian/Ubuntu mirror (although this would speed up the first run). All generated templates includes an appliance description file. Those can be used to build appliance repositories.

Virtual appliances are a well known and quite successful way to demonstrate and run server software. But till now, no high quality appliance builder for OpenVZ was available.

Anybody is talking about the economic and financial crisis - a good chance to bring powerful open source software to the enterprise customer - start now using OpenVZ for virtual appliances!

All details:

http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Debian_Appliance_Builder

Best Regards,

Martin Maurer

martin at proxmox.com <mailto:martin at proxmox.com>

http://www.proxmox.com <http://www.proxmox.com>

Proxmox Server Solutions GmbH

Kohlgasse 51/10, 1050 Vienna, Austria

Phone: +43 1 545 4497 11 Fax: +43 1 545 4497 22

Commercial register no.: FN 258879 f

Registration office: Handelsgericht Wien