[PVE-User] Windows 2003 hangs when rebooting

Martin Maurer martin at proxmox.com
Tue Mar 17 10:52:30 CET 2009

> Subject: [PVE-User] Windows 2003 hangs when rebooting
>
> Hi,
>
> We are using Proxmox in quite some setups, and we mostly use OpenVZ
> since this is much faster. This project however, requires one Windows
> 2003 server for which we use KVM. The problem is that whenever the thing
> updates itself (a requirement...), it wants to reboot, resulting in a
> lockup of the VM. The only solution is to stop and start the VM
> entirely.
>
> Has anyone experienced this before? Is there a solution to this?

I have seen this on old KVM version with multiprocessor systems.
I suggest you update to the latest version (if you haven´t already).

If you have issues, please always provide the settings used for the KVM machine, 32 or 64 bit, and post the content of /etc/qemu-server/VMID.conf

Windows 2003 is known to run very stable on Proxmox VE 1.1 with the following settings:

- one processor
- e1000 as network card with the latest drivers from Intel
- IDE disks

Br, martin