[PVE-User] Best way to RAID1 a Proxmox VE server?

Theron T. Trout ttcom at mellonway.com
Tue Mar 31 05:41:00 CEST 2009

Hi Myke,

Ah, I see.  I agree with you on the installer.  It would be great if
future versions provide more guided storage configurations.  I've heard
rumor that PVE 2.0 may include some network-based filesystems, but I
digress.

Recently I've had to dig in pretty deep with LVM while customizing a new
Proxmox system.  It sounds like we had similar experience where the
installer asks which hdd to install to, but leaves the other unused,
yes?  The first time through I used LVM to extend the /var/lib/vz
partitions to include the second hard drive.  This site made that
process quite painless and fast.

http://lucaschan.com/weblog/2007/06/29/adding-a-physical-disk-to-lvm-in-redhatcentos/

Due to some requirements in how my new PVE server will be deployed and
utilized, I finally backed off that approach and shifted gears slightly.
 I settled on extending /var/lib/vz to use some of the space on the
second hard drive and the remainder I am using for nightly snapshot
backups.  It may be overkill but I left 10GB of free space on the LVM
volume group for temporary snapshot partitions during backup (compared
to the 4GB that the Proxmox installer sets aside).  Overall my ~500GB of
storage is split 60%/40% for data and backups, respectively.

I didn't explore any Linux software RAID options, so I can't offer much
on that, but I'd be very interested in finding out how well that plays
on a Proxmox VE system.  Still, I'm happy to share more details of what
I've done if it's helpful to you.

Best regards,
Theron

--

Theron Trout
Principal, Mellonway LLC

800-614-MWAY (6929)
301-358-5050
www.mellonway.com

Efficiency and Results through Expertise. (TM)