[PVE-User] Routing puzzle !

Tobias Limmer tobias.limmer at informatik.uni-erlangen.de
Thu Apr 15 18:50:00 CEST 2010

Hi Darquandier,

most probably your problem is the default route on CT101 - it should
send the response packets via the VPN. To avoid this problem, you must
perform source and destination NAT on CT0, so that source and
destination IP of arriving packets are replaced. The corresponding
commands would be:

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -d [public-ip-CT0] -p tcp --dport 2222 -
j DNAT --to-destination 10.0.0.101:22
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -d 10.0.0.101 -p tcp --dport 22 -j SNAT
--to-source 10.0.0.1

Now all TCP connections to [public-ip-CT0] and port 2222 are forwarded
to CT101. One drawback: during the process the original IP address is
lost and CT101 always assumes that the connections originate from CT0.
This kind of setup is very tricky to get right, tcpdump helps a lot!

Btw: We've been using Proxmox for about a year now, and it works
great! Thanks a lot to the developers!

bye,
Tobi