[PVE-User] vzdump snapshot fails with physical disks

Rakhesh Sasidharan rakhesh at rakhesh.net
Wed Dec 1 23:56:16 CET 2010

Hello,

I have a KVM VM set up to use LVM storage and two physical disks. Here's
the relevant bits of the config file -

--8<---
ide1: /dev/i500_,media=disk
ide2: /dev/t2000_,media=disk
virtio0: local-lvm250:vm-102-disk-1
--8<---

When I try to do a snapshot backup of this machine, vzdump 1) refuses to
do a snapshot coz it can't identify the LVM volume group and 2) tries to
backup the two physical disks.

--8<---
# vzdump --snapshot 102
INFO: starting new backup job: vzdump --snapshot 102
INFO: Starting Backup of VM 102 (qemu)
INFO: running
INFO: status = running
INFO: mode failure - unable to detect lvm volume group
INFO: trying 'suspend' mode instead
INFO: backup mode: suspend
INFO: ionice priority: 7
INFO: suspend vm
INFO: creating archive
'/var/lib/vz/dump/vzdump-qemu-102-2010_12_02-02_28_13.tar'
INFO: adding
'/var/lib/vz/dump/vzdump-qemu-102-2010_12_02-02_28_13.tmp/qemu-server.conf'
to archive ('qemu-server.conf')
INFO: adding '/dev/i500_' to archive ('vm-disk-ide1.raw')
--8<---

I have identified the failing of the snapshot down to the two physical
disks being present. When I remove the physical disks from the config
file and start the VM, vzdump performs snapshots fine.

So - is there any way I can make vzdump do a snapshot backup with the
two physical disks present? And is there any way I can make vzdump
ignore these physical disks so it doesn't back them up? Upon a hunch I
tried vzdump with the --exclude-path option (giving it /dev/i500_ as the
argument) but that didn't help.

Thanks,
Rakhesh