[PVE-User] partition size

Justa Guy pve_user at proinbox.com
Thu Dec 2 06:12:18 CET 2010

I'm only speaking from experience with 1.6 in that <2TB is all that can
be installed to. I don't think 1.7 resolves that, or that there are
plans to support >2TB even for 2.x series PVE.

When I tried to hack my way around the limitation, it ended up a royal
PITA, void of any resemblance of a happy ending.

I wound up taping a single 32GB SATA SSD to the inside of the server's
lid with conductive aluminum tape to provide ground, heatsink & shield,
which I find sufficient for the base install.
This leaves the >2TB RAID10 array serving quite happily as local LVM
storage. I gave the >2TB volume multiple <2TB partitions to be on the
safe side although maybe >2TB would work for an LVM storage.

In this configuration, I'm able to use local SSD space left over from
the OS install as small virtual disks for VMs to mount in cases where
seek time matters.

Another detail perhaps worth considering is that RAID10 is generally
accepted as best suited for PVE, if possible.

Good luck & have fun.

-C