[PVE-User] Feature request regarding backup file naming

Theron T. Trout theron.trout at mellonway.com
Thu Jan 7 21:30:47 CET 2010

Hi,

I have a request regarding the new backup file naming conventions in PVE
1.4.  Prior to v1.4, filenames were always the same for each backup run,
now they include a timestamp.

While including the timestamp is a great feature, it would be very
helpful if it were optional.  The backup system that I have built for my
setup relies on the backup files having a predictable name.  This way my
scripts can automatically move them into long term storage and do
whatever else I need.  With the new schema, my backup system is broken.

Could you please add a control to the backup job configuration screen
for selecting between some type of predictable naming convention, such
as vzdump-qemu-{VMID}.tgz, and the new convention that includes
timestamps, vzdump-qmu-{VMID}-{TIMESTAMP}.tgz?

Thank you for your consideration of this and for Proxmox!
Theron

--

Theron Trout
Co-Founder & Chief Software Architect,

800-614-MWAY (6929)
301-358-5547
www.mellonway.com

Efficiency and Results through Expertise. (TM)

The information contained in this message may be privileged,
confidential, and protected from disclosure. If you are not
the intended recipient, or an employee, or agent responsible
for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or
copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you
have received this communication in error, please notify us
immediately by replying to the message and deleting from
your computer. Opinions, conclusions, and other information
in this message that do not relate to official Mellonway
LLC business are those of the sender and are neither given
nor endorsed by Mellonway LLC.