[PVE-User] OpenVZ Bug?

Marc Aymerich glicerinu at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 08:49:11 CET 2010

Hi all!

I'm using Proxmox VE1.3 and while i was trying to figure out the
reason of abnormal cpu results from one of my Nagios checks I found a
bug on openvz. Around 5% of the times that you check /proc/stat it
gives a wrong value of the ILDE and/or IO cpu ticks (top, vmstat, ps
uses it). This only happens inside a container.

I don't know if it is related only to this Proxmox version or it's a
general openvz bug. Before reporting the bug to the openvz bugzilla i
would like someone running the newer version of Proxmox to try to
reproduce it to ensure it is not only related to proxmox VE1.3.

If you are interested on it you can try to execute this code inside
one of yours containers, (preferably one with some load)

while true; do cat /proc/stat |head -n1|awk {'print $5 " " $6'}; sleep 1; done

it shows ILDE and IO cpu ticks stored in /proc/stat every 1 second. If
you're afected with the bug you'll see something like that:

6646470921 23857
6646471423 23857
6646471924 23857
6646470921 23857
6646471423 23857
6646471924 23857
6646470921 23857
6646471423 23857
6646471924 23857
6646470921 23857
6646471423 23857
6646471924 23857
167687 23857 <- wrong value
6646472928 23857
6646473430 23857
6646473932 23857
6646474433 23857
6646474935 23857
6646475437 23857
6646475939 23857
167687 6646332610 <- wrong value
167687 6646333112 <- wrong value
6646477444 23857
6646477946 23857
On another container:
91704735 58747
91705238 58747
91705740 58747
91706243 58747
91706745 58747
217545 91548449 <- wrong value
91707749 58747
91708252 58747
91708754 58747
91709256 58747
91709759 58747
91710261 58747
217545 91551966 <- wrong value
91711266 58747
91711769 58747
217545 91553473 <- wrong value
91712773 58747
91713276 58747
217545 91554981 <- wrong value
91714281 58747
91714784 58747
91715286 58747
91715788 58747
91716291 58747

It happens randomly, so you may need to wait one or two minutes. Be patient :)
And thank you very much!!

--
Marc