[PVE-User] How to migrate Physical OpenSuse 11.2 server to Proxmox

Erik van Ast Erik.van.Ast at suzohapp.nl
Fri May 14 10:40:22 CEST 2010

Hi all,

We need to migrate a physical OpenSuse 11.2 server to our Proxmox
server.

I have tried different things according to a couple of articles but none
of these methods worked for us.

I have also tried to migrate the server to VMWare ESX and from that
migrate to Proxmox but that didn't work. We have tried it with copying
the flat file to Proxmox and importing it into the new machine, but that
didn't work (machine stopped after 2 seconds) and we have tried it by
converting the vmdk file to a raw or qcow2 file and importing it after
that, but that also didn't work.

Can anyone tell us what the best way is of migrating a physical OpenSuse
11.2 server to proxmox?

I have already found the following articles, but they didn't work out
for us (or we did something wrong):

*         http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Migration_of_servers_to_Proxmox_VE
*         http://www.turnkeylinux.org/blog/convert-vdi-vmdk
*
http://blog.bodhizazen.net/linux/convert-vmware-vmdk-to-kvm-qcow2-or-vir
tualbox-vdi/
*         http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/3859-Migration-from-VMWare

Does anyone have experience with migrating physical servers to Proxmox?

Kind regards,

Erik van Ast