[PVE-User] Storage Questions

Martin Maurer martin at proxmox.com
Thu Nov 25 19:00:39 CET 2010

Hi,

[Martin Maurer]
Thanks, you are welcome here.

> I have a couple of storage questions.
>
> 1) I note that its possible to add two types of local storage - as LVM or as a
> directory. Are there any advantages/ disadvantages to each? I have a second
> hard disk which I'd like to add to my storage pool and my initial thought was
> to initialize it via LVM, mount in a directory, and then add to Proxmox. But
> that's when I realized it can take the LVM group directly, so not sure if I
> should go that route or not.

[Martin Maurer]
Use LVM for the second harddisk and use the block device for virtual disks. But this works only for KVM guests. See http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Storage_Model#LVM_Groups_with_Local_Backing
You have maximum performance as you are using block devices directly, no file system in between.

> 2) If I have a second hard disk, are there any performance advantages in
> moving the virtual machine disk to that machine instead of leaving them on
> the same disk as Proxmox? I remember reading somewhere (not KVM/
> Proxmox forums) that if the virtual machines disks are on a separate machine
> there is less competition between the host OS and the guests for the same
> disk ...
[Martin Maurer]
Depends a bit on the storage controller but for modern hardware I see no difference.  Best is using block device directly (like described above), then raw format on the filesystem, qcow2 is the slowest.
Also think of using a SAN (FC, iSCSI, etc.).

> 3) If I have a virtual machine installed in a directory based storage, is there
> any easy way of moving the OS from that to an LVM storage?
[Martin Maurer]
e.g. with backup/restore. Qmrestore allows to define the destination storage.
Br, martin