[PVE-User] How is Proxmox VE developed?

Adrian von Bidder avbidder at fortytwo.ch
Fri Oct 1 11:37:00 CEST 2010

Hi,

A friend recently has pointed me to Proxmox VE as a very nice solution; I'd
like to try it for my own server, and I'm having difficulties answering a
few not so technical questions from FAQ/Wiki:

 * Availability of Proxmox 2:  even if it's not even beta yet, can I get my
hands on it?  I really don't like the idea of installing a new server on a
lenny-based system that I'd then have to upgrade very soon.

 * Developer community:  Is there an open development community?  While
there are source tarballs, I can't find developer mailing lists, access to
source code repositories (git, svn, whatever) and similar resources.  From
afar Proxmox looks like a "in theory open source, but developed like
commercial software" project.

 * Official Debian packages:  I'm a Debian Developer, so of course I think
about this when I see debian based products under a Free license...: is it
planned to have PVE in Debian's "main" repository?  It's completely
opensource, so this should only be the matter of uploading the Debian
packages (perhaps after a bit more QA work.  I haven't looked at the
packages yet, so maybe they're already ok.)

 * Trademark issues: Related to these two:  If somebody were to upload
Proxmox VE into Debian, would one need to de-brand it first?  Or are the
Proxmox logo etc. freely licensed with the software?

cheers
-- vbi

--
Microsoft is a national security concern.
        -- Iranian govt. official, according to The Age