[PVE-User] vzdump: backup kvm lvm2 vm. Full backup ok, differential ?

Gilles Mocellin gilles.mocellin at free.fr
Wed Oct 6 23:48:41 CEST 2010

Le mercredi 06 octobre, Martin Maurer écrivit :

> Hi,
>
> vzdump is designed for full backups. If you need differential/incremental backups you should use a "traditional" backup tool.
> Br, martin

I wonder some times ago if full uncpompressed (or gzipped with
--rsyncable) backup on a deduplicated filesystem can save much space.

But :
- I don't have a NetApp NAS or other storage that suports deduplication
- I still haven't had time to test SDFS (http://opendedup.org/) or lessfs (http://www.lessfs.com/).

A traditionnal backup like bacula is certainly a better long term
solution. Same way to backup physical servers and virtual ones.

You can have two different backup styles :
- Full backup for disaster recovery, from scratch.
For that, you can use vzdump, even launched from a traditionnal backup
tool.
- Incremental backup, from inside the VMs with a traditionnal backup
  tool