[PVE-User] Very slow server (RAW IDE discs and KVM)

Erik van Ast Erik.van.Ast at suzohapp.nl
Fri Aug 5 13:10:54 CEST 2011

Hi all,

We have a PROXMOX 1.8 server running on a "4 x Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad
CPU Q9650 @ 3.00GHz" CPU with 8GB RAM installed. At the moment 3 virtual
servers are running on it (OpenSuse 11.2, Windows 2003 and Windows 2008)
and one of my servers (Windows 2003, 2GB of RAM, 2 RAW IDE discs) is
being extremely slow when writing data to it. We want to use this
machine as file server, so we want to copy 180GB of data to it. The
copying of data is almost finished now, but it took about 4 days to
complete and we are on a 1Gbit connection internally so that shouldn't
make a difference. I saw that the machine is especially slow when
copying large data over (like PST files), the speed than drops to
10-20Kbps instead of the multiple Mbps it should do.

At the moment 6.37 of the 8GB have been takes by the machines so RAM
shouldn't be a problem and total CPU is 50% now, so that should also be
no problem.

When running task manager on the virtual server itself, nothing special
is seen. No high CPU, no high RAM but the server is almost unresponsive.
As soon as the server is finished copying, everything is back to normal
speed

Has anyone ever seen this and does anyone know how to solve it?

Kind regards,
Erik