[PVE-User] pve-cluster won't start with large ssh_known_hosts

Derek W. Poon derekp+pve at ece.ubc.ca
Sat Dec 10 01:51:26 CET 2011

On 2011-11-30, at 12:02 AM, Dietmar Maurer wrote:

> We store those file on the pmxcfs file system, which is RAM based, and is only
> suited for small files.
>
> Can't you use the GlobalKnownHosts file instead (/etc/ssh/ssh_known_hosts)?
> Or should PVE use that file instead?

Dietmar,

In what ways does Proxmox VE use SSH?  Skimming the code, I see that it uses SSH (1) to establish VNC tunnels and (2) to add new nodes to the cluster ("pvecm add").  Anything else?

It would then follow that the known_hosts file in pmxcfs is just for deploying host keys for (1) hosts that are in the cluster and (2) hosts that are being added to the cluster.  For both cases, the set of host keys is quite small and well known.  It would be just as good to register specific host keys into pmxcfs when adding the hosts to the cluster.

Have I misunderstood anything?

Derek