[PVE-User] Error when creating a cluster

Robert Fantini rob at fantinibakery.com
Sat Dec 24 00:54:55 CET 2011

On 12/23/2011 06:40 PM, Koichi MATSUMOTO wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I reinstalled Debian and PVE 2.0 all over again, then I've got a 2 nodes cluster...
> But there is something wrong...?
>
> $ pvecm nodes
> Node  Sts   Inc   Joined               Name
>    1   M      8   2011-12-23 17:27:39  prim
>    2   M      4   2011-12-23 17:27:39  seco
>
> 2 master nodes?
>
> 1. after installing proxmox-ve-2.6.32, I enter 'sudo pvecm create xxx' on prim.
>    there is no problem except cluster.rng.
> 2. I entered 'sudo pvecm add prim' on seco, but pvecm reported 'unable to copy ssh ID'.
> 3. I added the ssh public key of 'seco' to authorized_keys on 'prim'.
> 4. I tried 'sudo pvecm add prim' on seco and pvecm reported 'cluster not ready - no quorum?'
> 5. I entered 'pvecm nodes', then the result is above.
>

> On 2011/12/24, at 5:49, Dietmar Maurer wrote:
>
>> Seem the cluster communication does not work. Make sure you switch supports IP multicasting?
>>
>> - Dietmar
> (snip)
>

> --
>   Koichi MATSUMOTO - http://maccoterie.com/
>      contact me? please see http://mch.tel/
> --

Are you using a managed switch?  We had similar results [ see proxmox
2.0 wiki , user name bread-baker ] when using Netgear managed switches.

After switching to non managed switches [ which should  be used in a
cluster according to what I've read an experienced  - google ' sheepdog
switches ' , we were able to create clusters and add nodes.