[PVE-User] quotas on a fedora 13 vm

eric proxmox at secu.be
Wed May 4 00:39:19 CEST 2011

Hello

I'm beginning crazy with quotas on a openvz fedora 13 VM on top of
proxmox 1.8

if I respect usual recommandations with

rm -f/var/lib/vz/private/$id/etc/mtab

ln -s/proc/mounts /var/lib/vz/private/$id/etc/mtab

or inside the vm

rm -f etc/mtab

ln -s /proc/mounts /etc/mtab

after reboot mtab inside my vm is not a symbolic file but a plain file
and includes

/dev/simfs / reiserfs rw,usrquota,grpquota 0 0

( and I'm not able to enable quota )

instead of the classical

/dev/simfs / simfs rw,relatime 0 0

the first line of init log inside proxmox displays

mount: according to mtab, /dev/simfs is already mounted on /

mounting local file systems ok

enabling local file systems ok

my rc.sysinit includes

if [ ! -e /proc/mounts ]; then

         mount -n -t proc /proc /proc

         mount -n -t sysfs /sys /sys>/dev/null 2>&1

[root at x# quotaon -v -a

[root at x# quotacheck -vagum

quotacheck: Cannot find filesystem to check or filesystem not mounted
with quota option.

vzquota  show 120

vzquota : (warning) Quota is running, so data reported from quota file
may not reflect current values

    resource          usage       softlimit      hardlimit    grace

   1k-blocks       13762104        18874368       20761804

      inodes         151730         3600000        3960000

vzctl stop 120; vzquota drop 120; vzctl start 120 did'nt help

on a fedora 11 VM

the same regular mtab including

/dev/simfs / reiserfs rw,usrquota,grpquota 0 0

proc /proc proc rw,relatime 0 0

sysfs /sys sysfs rw,relatime 0 0

none /dev/pts devpts rw,relatime,mode=600 0 0

gives me quotas without any problems

please help, any advice will be welcome

and I have spent so much time on it that I become less and less logical;-)

believed to be clean.