[PVE-User] DRBD issue with prox.

Paul Dickson assplove at gmail.com
Mon May 9 20:51:07 CEST 2011

This is more drbd related, but since I'm trying to do it on prox, i thought
i'd try here.

I'm trying to try out some of the features, including disk replication w/
live migration, of proxmox.  Because of the way prox takes all drive space
by default on install, i'm trying to work around that.  I've shrunk the
default data LV which was taking up the entire VG.  I then created a second
LV "/dev/pve/data2".  That LV is the base for the DRBD system.

Relivant sections of the drbd.conf:
        on proxmox1 {
                device /dev/drbd0;
                disk /dev/pve/data2;
                address 192.168.10.30:7788;
                meta-disk internal;
        }
        on proxmox2 {
                device /dev/drbd0;
                disk /dev/pve/data2;
                address 192.168.10.31:7788;
                meta-disk internal;
        }

So..
PVName : /dev/sda2 -> VG name: pve -> LV Name: /dev/pve/data2 -> DRBD vol:
/dev/drbd0 -> PV name dm-3  -> VG name: repl -> VM VOLUMES.

The problem is when I create the "repl" vg, it isn't replicated.  I see DRBD
replicating data and fully synced, however the VG is not replicated.

Obviously I can start over and partition manually for proper DRBD
configuration, but I'd prefer not to spend the time just for a proof of
concept test.  I'm also curious if I am doing something to make the
replication not work or if it just won't work using a DRBD device as the PV.