[PVE-User] Fwd: Fails to start KVM with error code 1 - what does that mean?

Bruce B bruceb444 at gmail.com
Fri May 27 23:14:53 CEST 2011

***Bingo. This sounds like a Bug to me.

I just got this working by no manipulating the KVM ID. Previously at the
create time I used to input 19 for the KVM ID and now I entered 119 and it
works just fine. Is there a limitation to KVM ID number under 100?

Can someone try this and confirm the bug?

Thanks

On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 4:59 PM, Bruce B <bruceb444 at gmail.com> wrote:

> So, I did a fresh install of the latest Proxmox and everything is just
> fine. But yet again an .iso of PBXinaFlash does not start and it gives me
> the same exact error. Someone should be able to decipher this. Here it is:
>
> s1:/var/lib/vz/template/cache# qm start 19
> Invalid ID
> start failed: command '/usr/bin/kvm -monitor
> unix:/var/run/qemu-server/19.mon,server,nowait -vnc
> unix:/var/run/qemu-server/19.vnc,password -pidfile
> /var/run/qemu-server/19.pid -daemonize -usbdevice tablet -name
> PBX_AptsInternational -smp sockets=1,cores=1 -nodefaults -boot
> menu=on,order=cad -vga cirrus -tdf -k en-us -drive
> file=/var/lib/vz/images/19/vm-19-disk-1.raw,if=ide,index=0,cache=none,boot=on
> -drive
> file=/var/lib/vz/template/iso/pbxinaflash-17554.iso,if=ide,index=2,media=cdrom
> -m 2048 -netdev
> type=tap,id=vlan0d0,ifname=tap19i0d0,script=/var/lib/qemu-server/bridge-vlan
> -device e1000,mac=FE:FE:E0:88:CD:D8,netdev=vlan0d0 -id 19 -cpuunits 1000'
> failed with exit code 1
>
> The .iso is hosted here if you can test it:
> http://pbxinaflash.vitel.net/1.7.5.5/pbxinaflash-17554.iso
>
> This actually worked with an older version of Proxmox but after I upgraded
> or something has changed with the .iso and it's not starting anymore.
>
> Please try this and give me your feedback. I also tried the CentOS 5.5
> version and the same issue. The .iso developers are telling me that they can
> run this fine on their Proxmox.
>
> Regards,
> Bruce
>
> On Sat, May 21, 2011 at 3:05 PM, Bruce B <bruceb444 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks Giovanni.
>>
>> Forcing IP down the kvm throat worked and I don't want to touch the rest
>> as it's long weekend and really don't like to drive to data-center if things
>> mess up.
>>
>> At one point I added a second NIC to the KVM to test and I also restarted,
>> and shutdown multiple time during the process but that was no help.
>>
>> I am afraid to touch the eth0 now as I said I changed the motherboard so
>> maybe that's why that came but I can't risk to loose GUI access at this
>> time.
>>
>> I shall check this another day.
>>
>> Thanks again for the great help.

>>> A good start would be to fix up your network configuration, even if
>>> you don't use that secondary network card.
>>>
>>> You can edit:
>>> /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
>>>
>>> you should have a line like this:
>>> # PCI device 0x1969:0x1048 (atl1)
>>> SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*",
>>> ATTR{address}=="00:12:34:56:78:90", ATTR{dev_id}=="0x0",