[PVE-User] Moving VM from one server to another

Timh B timh at shiwebs.net
Tue May 31 09:55:49 CEST 2011

Hey,

The openvz containers are usually stored in /var/lib/vz/private/<VMID>/.
Modifying and copying the config, data from /etc/vz/conf/<VMID>.conf,
/etc/qemu-server/<VMID>.conf, /var/lib/vz/private/<VMID> and
/var/lib/vz/images/<VMID> to a new machine "should" work. There might be
some extra work with getting networking etc to run but you should be able
to figure that out from there.

BR,
Timh

On Tue, May 31, 2011 07:00, Bruce B wrote:
> Hi Robert,
>
> Thanks for the input. It's not bad HDD. It's just a dead motherboard. No
> backups were run. Where are the contents of a VM saved? I can see that the
> /var/lib/vz/images/ includes all of the KVMs but not VMs.
>
> Regards,
>
> On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 10:45 PM, Robert Fantini
> <robertfantini at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> were backups run on that server?
>>
>> if they happen to be on the bad hdd, then recover the backup.
>>
>> how is the bad hdd getting accessed?
>>

>> On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 10:13 PM, Bruce B <bruceb444 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Hi everyone,
>> > I have a proxmox server that is down. So, I only have access to HDD
>> and I
>> > can retrieve data from it. I want to move some VMs over to the new
>> server
>> > but there is a conflict of ID. So, can I simply change the ID number
>> of
>> the
>> > VM that I am moving over to the new server and then turn it on with
>> the
>> new
>> > ID and expect everything to be fine?
>> > ***Note I am not using vzctl or any other utility as old server is
>> dead.
>> > only have access to HDD.
>> > Thanks

//Timh