[PVE-User] How to move Windows KVM to another proxmox server?

Alain Péan alain.pean at lpp.polytechnique.fr
Sun Sep 4 18:53:51 CEST 2011

Le 04/09/2011 18:31, Frederic MASSOT a écrit :
> Le 01/09/2011 23:07, Hart, Brian R. a écrit :
>> For KVM Machines, unless I'm forgetting something, you will also need
>> some
>> sort of shared storage for a live migration.  If you're not looking
>> for a
>> live migration I think you can do an offline migration w/o shared
>> storage
>> as long as they are in a cluster.
>
> Hi,
>
> In the case of a cluster, live migration is possible with a shared
> storage.
>
> In the case of servers that are not in a cluster, it is not possible
> to live migration of VM. It should be copied the VM by rsync, ssh or
> ftp between servers. In the case of a raw disk on logical volume, use
> kpartx to mount the partition.
>
> But in the case of a cluster without shared storage, I do not see how
> to migrate the VM. In the cluster there is only storage that is
> accessible from the master, the nodes do not have storage for a
> migration, logical volumes of the nodes are not accessible.
>
> Do I have summarized the possibilities?
>

> Regards.

I don't agree. In the case of a cluster without a shared storage, you
can migrate the VMs between the nodes, but you have to stop the VM. I
did that once. It will copy the VM image files to the other nodes, it
takes time (depends on your network). Then you restart the VM on the new
node.

It is not live migration, but it is possible. Just set up a cluster for
your two nodes. See :
http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Proxmox_VE_Cluster

Another possibility, without a cluster, is to create on the second node
a VM with characteristics identical to the initial VM (same raw disks,
Ram...). It will create the VM images files, but empty. Then stop the
initial VM, copy (via scp or other mean) the VMs files on the other
host, in a temporary location, and replace the files that were created
(image files) by the old VM files, and start this VM...

It means that VM image files are raw files on a local storage, not LVM
logical volumes.

Alain