[PVE-User] WG: difference b/w backup types

Stefan Sänger stsaenger at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 28 17:05:25 CEST 2011

Hi Muhammad,

so I see that your case is a bit more production related and harder to
judge. Have you considered other backup solutions?

Because I'm not sure if proxmox VM backup is the right choice for your
problem. Basically all it provides is a disk image, and if you don't
take care of backing up these images all that you have left when you
run into problems with your VM is the disk image of the last backup run.

It is definitely not the best choice for a reliable backup - if you run
a database and just perform snapshots, you may not be able to restore
tha latest database status.

I prefer to look deeper into this and choose a real backup solution
to cope with this. That even gives me the possibility to do incremental
backups with regular full backups and weekly kvm disk images.

But of course all that depends on what you are running inside the VM.

Stefan