[PVE-User] WG: difference b/w backup types

Matthew Caron Matt.Caron at sixnet.com
Wed Sep 28 17:30:29 CEST 2011

On 09/28/2011 11:21 AM, Alain Péan wrote:
> Hi Jeremiah,
>
> Just a question, just to know what is the best policy. Do you use
> BackupPC to backup the image files inside the host, or the files inside
> the VM ? The image files are big files, that change at least slightly
> (logs, updates...), so backupPC needs to backup the whole (big) file
> each time.

Not necessarily. BackupPC uses rsync, which has a differential changes
algorithm, so it only sends the regions of the files which changed over
the wire. From the manpage:

===
It is famous  for  its delta-transfer  algorithm,  which  reduces the
amount of data sent over the network by sending only the differences
between  the  source  files and  the  existing  files in the destination.
===

As long as you're not moving the original files, off of the destination
(say, for offsite backups), this will only copy what changed.

Of course, if you want offsites, you can set up a RAID 1 mirror on your
backup server, then pop the drive out in the morning, replace it, and
let it rebuild, then take the one you just pulled out offsite. Of
course, in this case I'd recommend a 3 way mirror, so that you still
have redundancy while the third disk is rebuilding.

--
Matthew Caron
Build Engineer
matt.caron at sixnet.com