[PVE-User] P2V Windows 2003/Compaq CCISS

Eneko Lacunza elacunza at binovo.es
Fri Apr 27 15:55:40 CEST 2012

Hi all,

For the last 3 days I have been trying to convert a physical Windows
2003 machine to a proxmox-hosted VM. Physical machine has a HP/Compaq
CCISS RAID controller, there is a grub bootloader that dual-boots
Windows (first partition) and linux.

I followed the howtos in Proxmox wiki for this process, loading
mergeide.reg for generic IDE drivers in Windows2003 prior to creating
the VM, but I was unable to load the disk in the VM.

First I used the "dd" method, but after choosing the windows boot in
grub, windows startup seemed to frezee showing only a cursor, no windows
logo appeared.

Then I used VMware Convert to create a Vmware VM (only windows partition
selected). Converted the disk to qcow2, and tried to boot. This time
Windows crashed with BOSD+directly rebooted (was unable to read crash
code). This happened configuring the disk as IDE and virtio. Configuring
the disk as SCSI resulted on a "disk not bootable". I noticed that the
VM did not have grub loader.

Finally I have managed to boot the VM in proxmox converting the VMware
disk to IDE, load one time the VM in vmware, then convert the disk to
qcow2.

Did I make some mistake in "mergeide" step? What mistake(s) could they
be?

Maybe the problem was grub being the boot manager? Can grub be fixed?

I have to do this P2V for another Compaq server, so I'd like to avoid
the vmware round-trip if possible. :)

Thanks a lot
Eneko

--