[PVE-User] Disk layout question

Shain Miley smiley at npr.org
Tue Aug 14 17:31:27 CEST 2012

Hello all,
We have historically purchased servers with 6 SAS drives, set them up in
a 3 x RAID1 configuration, and then placed LVM on top of the entire 6
drives.  This has worked out well so far as it allows us to maximize our
drive space.

However I need to build a few new Proxmox servers with I/O performance
specificity in mind.  I started to think that for these servers I would
still create the 3 X RAID1 configuration, however I would not use LVM
across all 6 drives, I would instead just create 3 separate LVM
partitions, so I can have a little more control over VM's use which drives.

One downside to this type of configuration is it might limit the maximum
size of the VM's we could deploy here (however I don't think this will
be an huge issue for us really).

I was wondering if anyone else has used this type of setup, and if there
are any other things I should be aware of,  if I am going to setup the
drives on a Proxmox server in this fashion.

Thanks in advance,

Shain