[PVE-User] online backup / 2.6.32-4 vs. 2.6.32-6

Alain Péan alain.pean at lpp.polytechnique.fr
Tue Feb 7 16:02:51 CET 2012

Hi Toni,

Le 07/02/2012 15:48, Tonci Stipic(evic' a écrit :
> Best regards to all
>
> I would like to report very strange and unreliable online-backup
> behavior in my case.
> Like I asked in the  mail  today  I could not achieve the latest pve
> configuration , maybe this is the reason of this unstable behavior.
> 2.6.32-4  is the master kernel.
>

> zmaj03:~# pveversion -v
> pve-manager: 1.9-26 (pve-manager/1.9/6567)
> running kernel: 2.6.32-4-pve
> proxmox-ve-2.6.35: 1.8-13
> pve-kernel-2.6.32-4-pve: 2.6.32-33
> pve-kernel-2.6.35-2-pve: 2.6.35-13
> qemu-server: 1.1-32
> pve-firmware: 1.0-14
> libpve-storage-perl: 1.0-19
> vncterm: 0.9-2
> vzctl: 3.0.29-3pve1
> vzdump: 1.2-16
> vzprocps: 2.0.11-2
> vzquota: 3.0.11-1
> pve-qemu-kvm: 0.15.0-2
> ksm-control-daemon: 1.0-6
>

> zmaj03-2:~# pveversion -v
> pve-manager: 1.9-26 (pve-manager/1.9/6567)
> running kernel: 2.6.32-6-pve
> proxmox-ve-2.6.35: 1.8-13
> pve-kernel-2.6.35-2-pve: 2.6.35-13
> pve-kernel-2.6.32-6-pve: 2.6.32-55+ovzfix-1
> qemu-server: 1.1-32
> pve-firmware: 1.0-14
> libpve-storage-perl: 1.0-19
> vncterm: 0.9-2
> vzctl: 3.0.29-3pve1
> vzdump: 1.2-16
> vzprocps: 2.0.11-2
> vzquota: 3.0.11-1
> pve-qemu-kvm: 0.15.0-2
> ksm-control-daemon: 1.0-6
>

> So whenever I set backup up I'm never sure whether it will start or not.
> Sometimes it starts and sometimes it does not.
> Regulary nightly backup is of big importance for me but I still cannot
> make it work.
>
> I allways use snapshot because my VMs are placed on the LVM shared
> storage (netapp iscsi) and the backup folder is also a netapp-nfs share.
>
> where can I check what was the reason the backup did not start.
>
> Any hints/help would be very appreciated
>
> thank you in advance and

First, you should verify your repositories on your first server, it is
not normal that it is not updated. What is the content of your
sources.list. Mine is this :
# cat /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian lenny main contrib

# PVE packages provided by proxmox.com
deb http://download.proxmox.com/debian lenny pve

# security updates
deb http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main contrib

Second, you can look at the vzdump logs in /var/log/vzdump, to see if
there are some errors displayed.
Do you have free space left on your LVM physical volume ? I think so
because I guess you are following the storage model on the wiki, and use
one volume group per VM, so there are space left ? You can verify with :
# pvs (see the column PFree)

And third idea, are your VMs big ? The bigger they are, the longer the
backup takes time, and the more likely it is that it could fail (I see
such problems myself).

Hopes that helps...

Alain

Alain Péan - LPP/CNRS
Administrateur Système/Réseau
Laboratoire de Physique des Plasmas - UMR 7648
Observatoire de Saint-Maur
4, av de Neptune, Bat. A
94100 Saint-Maur des Fossés
Tel : 01-45-11-42-39 - Fax : 01-48-89-44-33