[PVE-User] vm disappears when enabling HA, appears on other proxmox host

Stefan Sänger stsaenger at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 5 16:48:09 CEST 2012

Hi all,

just another strange problem I stumbled across and that is giving me a
headache. Here's what I did:

An old single proxmox VE server running 1.9 is to be replaced by a
proxmox 2.1 cluster. In order to do so two new servers were bought and
in order to get a quorum a third machine (just an atom machine) is added.

So there is a proxmox cluster with three hosts: pve1, pve2 and pve3.
pve3 is the intended quorum machine, pve1 and pve2 share a DRBD.

I restored a VM from proxmox 1.9 backup to pve1 usind the shared DRBD
volume and everything looked good so far.

But after adding that VM to HA it disappeared - and appeared on pve3.
Now that means trouble, because:
- the configured storage for this VM (lvm volume group drbdvg) is
   marked as shared, but only available to pve1 and pve2
   from /etc/pve/storage.vfg

   lvm: drbdvg
         vgname drbdvg
         shared
         content images
         nodes pve2,pve1

- after manually moving 101.conf from /etc/pve/nodes/pve3/qemu-server/
   to /etc/pve/nodes/pve1/qemu-server/ the vm appeared again, but did
   not start; neither with qm start 101 executed on pve1 nor starting
   with web UI worked

After I removed the VM from HA config I could start it up again - but
this is still strange. So, I do I enable HA for a VM while limiting it
to run only on pve1 or pve2?

Thanks in advance,

regards, Stefan