[PVE-User] Problems with the qla2xxx driver

Severin Kacianka severin.kacianka at aau.at
Wed Jul 11 10:27:10 CEST 2012

Hello,

I have a weird problem with proxmox 2.1 and the qla2xxx driver. My
hardware setup is the following:
Proxmox runs on a HP BL460c G1 blade connected to a transtec SAN via a
qlogic SANbox 5600 Fiber-channel switch.
The switch is supported by the qla2xxx driver and it seems to work
flawlessly with proxmox 1.9 (note: I did not install 1.9 - this was done
by my predecessor and I try to upgrade our cluster to 2.1).

When I boot the blade, it will not detect the SAN. If I modprobe qla2xxx
it will not detect the SAN. But if I reboot after the modprobe the SAN
is visible and can be written and read to.
The problem is, as soon as I reboot the blade again it will not detect
the SAN (i.e. the qlogic driver will not be loaded).
I need to reboot, then modprobe qla2xxx and reboot the blade again to
get access to the SAN.

I tried to add qla2xxx to /etc/modules and tried to add modprobe qla2xxx
to /etc/rc.local all to no avail.

My guess is, that the modprobe before the reboot is somehow needed to
trigger the automatic loading of of the driver after the reboot. I just
do not understand why adding it to /etc/modules is not enough.

Attached to this e-mail are two dmesg outputs: one where it worked
(with_sda.dmesg) and one where it does not (no_sda.dmesg).

Do you have any idea what might be the problem and how I could got to
fix or debug it?

Thank you for your time,

Severin