[PVE-User] PVE 2.x and HB

THe_ZiPMaN flavio-pve at zipman.it
Sat Jul 28 16:36:16 CEST 2012

On 07/28/2012 03:56 PM, Gilberto Nunes wrote:
> I see...
> But what I need is just replace HeartBeat...

And corosync DOES replace heartbeat.

> Let me explain better...
> I have a couple of Dell servers and I had install PVE 1.9 some months ago...
> In that servers, I set heartbeat and DRBD, in order to make one machine
> restart on the secondary hardware, in case of failure on the primary
> hardware...
> And of this peace work fine togheter...

And this indeed is what HA is meant for

> However, we thing the PVE 2.1 is easier to deploy machines and
> backup/restore tasks...

Not only this. It carries really numerous improvements in every piece of
the system. It's really a complete virtualization system now.

> So, I need use Heartbeat or Pacemaker or Corosync, whatever, just to
> trigger some shell scripts to initialize VM's on alive host...

The HA feature of proxmox does exactly this.

> I need avoid use of complex hardware, like fancing for example...

First of all fencing is required by corosync, not by Proxmox. If you
could install corosync from Debian repositories, you would need a
fencing device also in that case. You can find more info on the why it's
needed on the corosync web site.
Secondarily if you have server hardware as HP, Dell, IBM, etc. or if you
have an IPMI controller, you can use the integrated management services
as fencing device; you can find fencing scripts on google for all this
kind of integrated hardware.
If you cannot follow the previous suggestions, you can buy an USB
controller power outlet compatible with Linux for less than 60€. For
example the gembird usb controller SIS-PM devices can be controller with
"sispmctl" available on the official Debian Repositories.
(i.e. http://www.itbank.us/SIS-PM-841_/)
Finally, if you cannot afford any of the above, you can configure the
dummy fencing device, with the advice that in case of split brain you
almost certainly will corrupt everything and loose data (is up to you to
evaluate if your data and services values less than 120€).

> And, to make my day more terrify, I don't have a lot of time...

And if you don't have time the best thing to do is to follow the manuals
and make your configuration as more standard as possible.

> Can you see my drama!? rs

No, I really cannot see any drama. I'm sure all the existing feature and
documentations fits perfectly your needs.

--
Flavio Visentin

A computer is like an air conditioner,
it stops working when you open Windows