[PVE-User] any recommendation for SSD for ceph journal, disk/SSD?

Laurent CARON lcaron at unix-scripts.info
Mon Jul 30 16:56:22 CEST 2012

On 30/07/2012 14:25, Martin Schuchmann wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> We are still not using any SSDs in our productive servers - in many
> customer desktops we had all the kinds of problems, which may appear:
> Dead disks, firmware bugs, freezing disks, not recognized drives - so we
> are still on 15k SAS drives. Also our bigger, professional customers
> still do not use SSDs in their servers - by their own decision...

Hi,

Although we don't have thousands of SSD, we are using quite a few for:
- database servers
- proxmox virtual machines
- desktops

We use only intel SSDs.
The first ones were X25-E in our database server. Those were replaced a
few months ago by intel 520 series because of the lack of space on the
previous ones (which are recycled as boot/OS disk in workstations).

We always use those SSD in software (aka MD) RAID1 (replicated over
DRBD) mode with great success.

More recently we deployed a cluster of 4 servers to host virtual
machines. For some VM we use SSD backed devices as we need very low
latency in disk access.

Cheers,

Laurent