[PVE-User] CentOS 6 Install Problems in Proxmox 1.9

Tim Nelson tnelson at rockbochs.com
Fri Jun 1 21:52:45 CEST 2012

----- Original Message -----
> > I can readily duplicate this. Any thoughts or pointers on the cause
> > and/or
> > solution? Are there known issues running CentOS 6 within KVM
> > included in
> > Proxmox 1.9?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > --Tim
>
> [Martin Maurer]
> Works here as expected. I just installed Centos 6.2 (amd64, from
> DVD1) without problems on 1.9 and also on 2.0.
> Can you try on another hardware?

Well, I've done some more testing and am still stuck. Memtest shows my RAM is good on two machines (16GB each), yet it's a nogo. Is it software/CPU related? I am seeing this a bit in the logs:

kvm: 2968: cpu0 unimplemented perfctr wrmsr: 0xc1 data 0xabcd
kvm: emulating exchange as write

Hardware is a Dell Poweredge 2950 with Intel Xeon E5310 CPUs and 16 GB RAM. CPU flags do indicate vme and vmx. I have to assume if the CPU was a compatibility issue, KVM would not load to begin with, correct?

I've tried different kernels including those included here:

virt2:~# pveversion -v
pve-manager: 1.9-26 (pve-manager/1.9/6567)
running kernel: 2.6.32-7-pve
proxmox-ve-2.6.18: 1.8-15
pve-kernel-2.6.32-4-pve: 2.6.32-33
pve-kernel-2.6.18-6-pve: 2.6.18-15
pve-kernel-2.6.35-2-pve: 2.6.35-13
pve-kernel-2.6.32-7-pve: 2.6.32-55+ovzfix-2
qemu-server: 1.1-32
pve-firmware: 1.0-15
libpve-storage-perl: 1.0-19
vncterm: 0.9-2
vzctl: 3.0.29-3pve1
vzdump: 1.2-16
vzprocps: 2.0.11-2
vzquota: 3.0.11-1
pve-qemu-kvm-2.6.18: 0.9.1-15

I'm about to rip my hair out, any ideas? I have to assume the PE2950 is one of the more common systems used with Proxmox (cheap, reliable, etc).

--Tim