[PVE-User] How to add a second router to same Proxmox server?

Bruce B bruceb444 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 19:37:25 CEST 2012

Hi Everyone,

I have a SuperMicro server with two NIC ports on it. Eth0 is connected to a
pfSense router and all the VM and Containers obtain DHCP IP from that
router via Proxmox vmbr0. I want to add another router to the equation for
redundancy and also because we got another block of IP addresses that I
want to use. My current pfSense router doesn't have the ports needed to do
the job so I need a second pfSense router for this. This is what I see in
Network setup now:

Name: Active: Autostart: Ports/Slaves: Subnet mask: Gateway:
eth0          Yes            No
eth1          No            No
vmbr0 Yes            Yes eth0 192.168.10.5 255.255.255.0 192.168.5.1

I have previously lost access to Proxmox GUI when turning on the eth1. I
don't have the luxury of testing now. I have to do this precisely and
correctly. So my questions are:

1- What files backup should I do first so that if I loose access to Proxmox
GUI, I can restore them and do a "network restart" and get it all running
to previous working state?
2- The new router will be supply 192.168.20.0/24 IP ranges. After I connect
it to eth1 port on the server, what should I do to turn it on.
3- Once it's setup, how do I go about dictating which VM or Container
should obtain IP from which interface? do I need a vmbr1?

Thanks