[PVE-User] How to add a second router to same Proxmox server?

Bruce B bruceb444 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 18:56:55 CEST 2012

Amazing info Guy. Thanks. I read your notes and saw the last picture. The
first picture you attached didn't come through.

So, here is my situation (You will have to use big screen to see this):

pfSense-1 - First routable IP block:   65.65.65.66/*29*
pfSense-2 - Second routable IP block: 189.189.189.189/*27*

They are totally different ranges but here is a diagram of my equipment:

ISP  ====>   Dumb Switch
                       |             |
                pfSense1    pfSense-2

           ____|______________|____
           |   eth0                     eth1  |
           |_______ProxMox _______|

I have vmbr0 just like yours and it got it's private IP of 192.168.5.5 and
all containers through that bridge can obtain DHCP IP of range
192.168.5.0/24. I don't need to assign public IP addresses directly to
containers. I can use pfSense to do the NAT forward.

So, how come your vmbr2 or vmbr3 have IPs assigned to them? Shouldn't they
have IPs? Not that I care as my vmbr0 already gives me GUI access to
Proxmox but I am wondering how it works.

So, I don't want to loose GUI access (that can be nightmare to me given
it's a production server and no test servers here). Would I be safe if I
just go ahead to GUI and create vmbr1 and then attach the 2nd pfSense to it?

****Given the two very different public IP ranges I receive from my ISP,
can I still use VLANs?

Thanks again for all your patience. I am learning a lot.