[PVE-User] Dummy interfaces automatic starting

Gilberto Martins gsilva.martins at gmail.com
Sun Mar 18 17:59:49 CET 2012

Hi all.

I need a internal network to some VMs, so they can communicate
privately among themselves. Some searches pointed a solution for that,
I believe most of you know it already.
But, if I need to reboot, the dummy interface will not keep existing.
My solution was to inke them from /etc/rc.local, as shown here:

= /etc/rc.local ==============================
proxmox:~# cat /etc/rc.local
#!/bin/sh -e
#
# rc.local
#
# This script is executed at the end of each multiuser runlevel.
# Make sure that the script will "exit 0" on success or any other
# value on error.
#
# In order to enable or disable this script just change the execution
# bits.
#
# By default this script does nothing.

#Starting dummy interface for internal networks
/sbin/modprobe -o dummy0 dummy
/sbin/ifconfig dummy0 up
/usr/sbin/brctl addbr vmbr10
/usr/sbin/brctl addif vmbr10 dummy0
/sbin/ifconfig vmbr10 up

My question is simply that: Is this the best way to get them up and
running, or any of you recommend something better or/and recommended ?
?

Gilberto Martins