[PVE-User] Problems migrating Vmware Solaris 9 to Proxmox

Alessandro Briosi ab1 at metalitnord.com
Tue Mar 27 17:23:31 CEST 2012

Il 27/03/2012 16:25, Antonio Sanguigni ha scritto:
> 2012/3/27 claudio.prono at atpss.net<claudio.prono at atpss.net>:
>> Hello to all,
>>
>> I am trying to migrate a Vmware machine with Solaris 9 to Proxmox, but i
>> have a problem: every time the migrated disk is not bootable.
>
>> Disk /dev/hda: 4294 MB, 4294967296 bytes
>> 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 522 cylinders, total 8388608 sectors
>> Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
>> Disk identifier: 0x00000000
>>
>>    Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
>> /dev/hda1   *        1008     8388575     4193784   82  Linux swap / Solaris
>> Partition 1 has different physical/logical beginnings (non-Linux?):
>>      phys=(1022, 254, 63) logical=(0, 16, 1)
>> Partition 1 has different physical/logical endings:
>>      phys=(1022, 254, 63) logical=(522, 41, 63)
>>
>> Some hints about this?
>
> I don't know about the errors but it seems this is a swap partition of
> 4 gb :O. Are you sure did you clone the right disk ?
>
> Antonio

No the partition type is correct (as you see the partition is Linux swap
/ Solaris)

The problem here I think it's the fact that probably linux isn't
handling the hard disk correctly and the produced image is missing the
x86 boot sector from the disk. (at least I suppose it's not the sparc
version :P )
Solaris 9 is pretty old and I don't know if it will run on KVM.

I see failed reports to install it on kvm on the internet, also a 4GB
drive is very little, but I see you are migrating very old systems.

If I had to do such a migration I'd go the system upgrade way, but that
depends on what do that OS have installed.

my 2 cents.

Alessandro