[PVE-User] P2V Windows 2003/Compaq CCISS

Eneko Lacunza elacunza at binovo.es
Fri May 4 10:56:22 CEST 2012

Hi all,

Just reporting the 2nd migration of a Windows 2003 P2V in a HP machine,
this time it was an older CCISS one, with HP Smart Array 631 controller.

> > > try to have a look at this thread:
> > > http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/8679-Migration-of-physical-Windows-XP-to-virtual
> > > It is not about windows 2003 but maybe you can find some ideas !
> > Thanks a lot for the hint. It seems intelide.sys was not in c:\windows
> > \system32\drivers, maybe that was the problem, but there doesn't seem to
> > be such a file in driver.cab...  will check in the next P2V migration
> > and will report back to this list. Will try with the new Hw profile too
> > if the previous does not work.
> Just found that in Windows 2003, intelide.sys is in c:\windows\Driver
> Cache\sp2.cab (not in driver.cab)

This didn't help. Windows would start to load and then crash with an
error. I tried Ide and SCSI disks (this time with the LSI fw which
worked to start the boot).

I finally migrated the host with VMWare Convert + wmware-vdiskmanager +
qemu-img aproach. Maybe it'd be useful to include this approach in the
wiki?

Does anyone know if there's any way to prevent Windows Activation when
doing a P2V migration?

Thanks
Eneko

--