[PVE-User] Simulate disconnected network cable

Hart, Brian R. brianhart at ou.edu
Mon May 7 16:58:46 CEST 2012

One way I have done what you are looking for, though it is probably not their recommended way, is I've just deleted the bridged interface for the vm

If you do a 'brctl show' at the console on your proxmox box you'll see your bridged interfaces that list the bridge, the physical interface in the bridge, and the VM

They are listed as tap(VMID)I(Int#)

So for example, on vmbr0, on VM #107, net0, you might see a device listed in the bridge as: tap107i0

A command of brctl delif vmbr0 tap107i0 would remove the tap interface.  This would leave the NIC listed in your VM but not connected to the bridge and therefore not actually connected to your network.  Its not EXACTLY the same as VirtualBox there, but if you're wanting the NICs active and listed in your VM but not actually on the network this should accomplish what you're looking for.

There might be a better way, but this has worked for me in the past.

HTH --

Brian Hart