[PVE-User] Promise RAID Card

Flavio Stanchina flavio.stanchina at ies.it
Tue Nov 6 16:08:12 CET 2012

David Thompson wrote:
> I picked up a promise internal EX8760T card and built a RAID 5 array (I have also tried a RAID 10).
> The Proxmox Installer is able to detect the system and install onto it, however whenever I reboot the server, it does not actually boot up.
>
> The server goes through the normal card detection, bios check, and then gets to a black screen that just flashes:
>
> "_"

Does it do that before or after the Grub boot menu?

If you don't see the Grub boot menu, it's most likely a BIOS issue.
Check the boot settings in the system BIOS and in the card's BIOS; if
that doesn't help, you should confirm that your computer can actually
boot from that card by doing a minimal install of another operating
system, for example Debian (I suggest a squeeze x64 because if it boots
you could actually upgrade it to Proxmox VE) or Ubuntu or even *cough*
Windows (XP is enough).

--
Flavio Stanchina
Informatica e Servizi

by definition, not smart enough to debug it.
  -- Brian W. Kernighan