[PVE-User] Cluster reset and reinstall

Simone Piccardi piccardi at truelite.it
Thu Nov 29 16:35:58 CET 2012

I'm currently reinstalling a cluster. To clean the previous installation
not wanting to fully reinstall the physical node, I just purged
pve-manager and pve-cluster packages, and then cleared all the
directories with remaining contents.

But that removed also the vzctl package, and when reinstalling
pve-manager and pve-cluster it does not appear to be in their
dependencies, so the pve-manager setup fails:

# apt-get install pve-manager pve-cluster
Reading package lists... Done
Setting up pve-manager (2.2-31) ...
insserv: Service vz has to be enabled to start service pve-manager
insserv: exiting now!
update-rc.d: error: insserv rejected the script header
dpkg: error processing pve-manager (--configure):
configured to not write apport reports
                                       Setting up vzctl (4.0-1pve2) ...
Checking vzevent kernel module .....done
Starting vzeventd:
Starting OpenVZ: ..done
Bringing up interface venet0: ..done
- Warning: IP forwarding is not enabled
  pve-manager

It fails also if I manually add vzctl to the packages to be reinstalled:

# apt-get install pve-manager pve-cluster vzctl
Reading package lists... Done
Setting up pve-manager (2.2-31) ...
insserv: Service vz has to be enabled to start service pve-manager
insserv: exiting now!
update-rc.d: error: insserv rejected the script header
dpkg: error processing pve-manager (--configure):
configured to not write apport reports
                                       Setting up vzctl (4.0-1pve2) ...
Starting OpenVZ: ..done
Bringing up interface venet0: ..done
- Warning: IP forwarding is not enabled
  pve-manager

The only way to avoid this is to previously install vzctl (and
pve-cluster that is in its dependencies) and after then install
pve-manager.

It's not a big deal, because to solve the previous issue is enough to
repeat the installation command, but I think it should be annoying to
people installing pve-manager starting from a fresh Debian install.

Regards
Simone
--
Simone Piccardi                                 Truelite Srl
piccardi at truelite.it (email/jabber)             Via Monferrato, 6