[PVE-User] Proxmox installer and preseeding

Gilles Mocellin gilles.mocellin at nuagelibre.org
Fri Nov 30 15:36:12 CET 2012

Hello Proxmox Users and Developers !

I have to build 2 or 3 small clusters, identical except names and IPs of
course.
As I'm a good sysadmin (= lazy !), I don't want to repeat myself.

I look at several alternatives to automatic provisioning :
- Razor + puppet (my ideal goal)
- FAI
- standard PXE boot with installer ISO

With FAI, the installation would be Debian Squeeze, and after install
Proxmox.
Razor is finally quite similar as a standard PXE boot install, it needs
an installer (iso) and a preseeding file.

Here we go :
Is it possible to use the Proxmox installer with a preseed file ?

I think it would be really great to have some auto install/config
modules for the common configuration management systems out there :
puppet, chef, cfengine...
And even more, if we can handle bare metal auto installation with
something like Razor, directly connected to a puppet module...

There's already that kind of work around OpenStack. I think it's a good
source of inspiration.
http://wiki.debian.org/OpenStackRazorHowto

I know it's not the main goal of Proxmox, but we certainly can have some
"Proxmox Cloud Environment".
After host provisioning, we'll have to work on VM provisioning...